Battle Bears Gold: http://sky.vu/gold -:- Battle Bears Overclock: http://sky.vu/overclock

What are your thoughts on VR?

SSP_RismSSP_Rism Member Posts: 1,992 Underlord 2016
edited December 2016 in Other
Keep in mind this is not "places VR" this is VR in general

What are your thoughts on VR? 24 votes

Is good
8%
ComfySofaSoo__hey 2 votes
Is bad
4%
Slate 1 vote
I think it will work for out and will stay relevant for a long time
29%
Hackey5FluttershyisbestponycandyissweetNYCOCrash_NebulaLilyBMR329 7 votes
I think it's a gimmick and won't last much after a couple years
33%
PirateWilpower784ToaTurtleFREESHDiseasedFilthSSP_RismIgolideStarc 8 votes
Other (if you think something else)
25%
AkurotetsuHellfireMavockinterminaterChaoTicKraZeKing_Of_DOOOM 6 votes
SSS

Comments

• Wilpower784Wilpower784 Member, Moderator, MVP, SkyVu Beta Tester Posts: 5,240 Fabled
    It's too expensive and too inconvenient to become an actual competitor between consoles, handhelds, phones, PC, etc.
    x_busting_by_ultimatemaverickx-d80l1pf.gif
  • SSP_RismSSP_Rism Member Posts: 1,992 Underlord 2016
    edited December 2016
    I would rather have a stick with buttons, box with buttons, rectangle with a lot of buttons and a mouse that lets me play games instead of strapping £500 to my face to which i can have the same experience by putting my phone in card board and putting it up to my face and tying that on.

Some people do and i think there is profit in the up coming years for VR but past 2020 maximum it'll die out it is definitely not something that will last as long as companies invested in it would want.
    SSS
  • PiratePirate Member, MVP Posts: 29,583 Fabled
    As much as it's interesting, it's not exactly for everybody.
  • SlateSlate Member, SkyVu Beta Tester Posts: 6,932 Fabled
    Is bad
    I already have worse vision by viewing screens several feet away, imagine how peoples vision will be by staring at a screen right in front of their face for long periods of time.
    e528a263fa2f64e6f63e6029386866a5-1.gif
  • King_Of_DOOOMKing_Of_DOOOM Member Posts: 55 Recruit
    it will not get finished,or no one is going to buy it then skyvu will become nothing and all of bb will get shut down
  • FluttershyisbestponyFluttershyisbestpony Member, MVP Posts: 3,925 Exalted
    edited December 2016
    I just got the opportunity to try a HTC Vive for the first time a few days ago, and the demo actually sold it to me. The price point is the initial hangup, understandably, for anyone considering a VR anything. However, arcade machines and video games weren't exactly cheap back when they first came out either - they were large, clunky, and highly experimental. Considering how phone technology will continue to evolve and put good-quality VR headsets in the grasp of all smartphone owners, VR will only continue to become more accessible over time. No Youtube video or explanation from me can adequately describe how cool it feels when you actually try it, so if you're curious, try to take one for a spin yourself before you pass further judgement!

It's not something to be afraid of either, thankfully. One of my favorite features of the Vive was how it displayed the game you were playing on the PC monitor for everyone to see. Everyone looks like a dork flailing their arms around in their own private VR dream, so allowing watchers to understand where you are makes it feel surprisingly social and fun for the family. Plus it feels like the Wii (x100 in coolness factor), because it at least gets you off the desk and moving around.

I'm very much a severe-skeptic-turned-convert: I am strongly considering a Vive (since I already have the PC that can support it, otherwise I wouldn't even think about getting one), and I'm now very excited about what will lie in the future. Either way, VR is here whether we like it or not, and like the history of video games, what starts out as a niche fad will soon become a popular streamlined technology that will only look more appealing with time.
    it will not get finished,or no one is going to buy it then skyvu will become nothing and all of bb will get shut down

I specifically mentioned that it had nothing to do with places VR and VR already exists it's just kinda bad and it's new
    SSS
  • ToaTurtleToaTurtle Member Posts: 779 Corporal
    its okay right now, if the controls become better it might last
  • NYCONYCO Member Posts: 1,041 Sergeant
    I played with a VR set from Best buy and it is very fun... The Place VR can be successful but I'm really worried about the BattleBears franchise as no words about it are ever spoken from the officials.
    "Lupin III is fabulous!" [Not.Your.Common.Opponent.] 2/25/16
    76561198147792612.png
  • thecheeseloverthecheeselover Member Posts: 3,319 Noble
    edited December 2016
    VR is still pretty expensive.The cheapest option out there(if you have a phone already) is google cardboard.With the HTC and the Samsung vr sets,you have to really devote $100+ to specifically vr.If you go into things like Oculus,the price ranges simply gets incredible.You need a generally high performing computer that is capable enough to run VR,along with the headset,which can easily sink you 300 dollars or even higher.I guess as the market expands and gets more competitve,the prices might got down lower and VR would be more widespread
  • ChaoTicKraZeChaoTicKraZe Member Posts: 401 Recruit
    It ruined the BB Franchise ;(
  • HellfireHellfire Member, SkyVu Beta Tester Posts: 780 Corporal
    I wouldn't really call what we have a true VR at the minute. In my view for a truly augmented experience it would have to engage all the senses. Touch is a pretty important sense for one, but we only have minor haptic feedback at this stage.
    I think it's still somewhat niche at the moment but it'll take off when we make more strides in it's development.
    A few months into having a Vive, and it's been nothing but joy. :D Surprisingly, it's been most fun when I have a bunch of friends over - we pass the headset off, cheer each other on, and sometimes attempt to trip each other while in a game. Our favorite thing to do is "props," where whenever, for instance, one of my buddies goes to sit down in a virtual chair, we grab a real life chair for him, or we use a fan on him when he's on a tall virtual mountain/building.

I can agree that good VR is very much a niche thing still, because (all necessary basement cleaning to make space aside,) it was a heck of a job to get running. Drilling and mounting the sensors, dedicating space to play, troubleshooting little bugs, adjusting the equipment and installing drivers. Luckily, not all VR needs to be expensive, since SkyVu's marketing toward consumer-grade VR currently. Looking forward to the future, where good quality VR becomes increasingly accessible to others; in the meantime, my new computer area has turned into a pretty popular hangout for my friends and I! ;)

Seriously though, if you happen to have a Vive demo in your area, it's well worth the trip. It's legitimately very difficult to describe the sensation of VR to someone who's never tried it before, but the closest videos I've been able to find that illustrate some of the feeling would be the green screen ones, like this one for example.

(language warning but very funny regardless)

^ There are much better green screen mixed reality videos than the above, but the guy was just too hilarious to pass up on.
  • FREESHFREESH Member Posts: 5,433 Fabled
    w hats even the poit when u alreddy have 3 d glasses
    ВЫЗЫВАЙТЕ СРЕДСТВА ПРОИЗВОДСТВА
    KV-2-1940.jpg
  • MavockinMavockin Member Posts: 788 Corporal
    I dont care
    44WqQzi.jpg
    FREESH wrote: »

That's what I was saying too before I tried a VR headset on!
    FREESH wrote: »

That's what I was saying too before I tried a VR headset on!

I tried vr and I honestly didn't like the experience that much, it was cool but after 30 minutes I got incredibly bored and haven't touched it since
    SSS
    @Dujuran IMO, it depends on the games you play too, and whether it's worth the investment. If you don't already have a powerful PC for it, heck no. So far I've been enjoying it past its honeymoon phase because I made sure to get games that would have some longevity beyond "omg its vr".